Old Course St.Andrews
The Old Course originally consisted of twenty-two holes, eleven out and eleven back. In 1764, the Society of St Andrews Golfers, which later became the Royal and Ancient Golf Club, decided that some holes were too short and combined them. This reduced the course to eighteen holes and created what became the standard round of golf throughout the world.
The track through the whin bushes on which the Old Course evolved was so narrow that golfers played to the same holes going out and coming in. As the game became increasingly popular in the nineteenth century, golfers in different matches would find themselves playing to the same hole, but from opposite directions. To relieve the congestion, two holes were cut on each green; those for the first nine were equipped with a white flag and those for the second nine with a red flag. The Open Championship was first played on the Old Course at St Andrews in 1873. With the 28th staging of the world's premier golf event taking place again on the Old Course in 2010, St Andrews has held the event more often than anywhere else.
The Old Course (par-72)
Send us an enquiry for your chance to visit this incredible historic course.